Owning rental properties comes with a lot of responsibility. One of the main responsibilities of landlords or rental owners is to create an attractive property that tenants want to live in. As such, paying special attention to your rentals’ curb appeal is essential. In today’s article, we’ll review some modern curb appeal ideas and what to avoid while decorating your property’s exterior. Read along for some helpful tips and tricks!
Contents of This Article:
What Is Curb Appeal?
Curb appeal refers to the attractiveness or appeal of a property, usually in the context of real estate or rental properties. It’s the overall visual impression a property makes when viewed from the street or curb. Curb appeal significantly attracts potential tenants and can influence their initial impression of the property.
Improving the curb appeal of a property involves enhancing the external features and appearance. For instance, you may improve the landscaping, exterior paint, driveway, walkways, front yard, windows, and overall property maintenance. Factors contributing to curb appeal may include a well-maintained lawn, neatly trimmed hedges, colorful flowers, and well-painted exteriors.
Investing in curb appeal can increase the value of a property and make it more desirable to potential tenants. Property management in Baltimore knows just how much of a difference modern curb appeal can make for a rental property. That said, improving a property’s curb appeal is typically recommended for landlords who want to create a welcoming and visually appealing first impression.
Why Is Curb Appeal Important for Rentals?
Modern curb appeal is important for rentals for several reasons. First impressions mean a lot to tenants, and what they see from the outside of a rental is just as important as what’s on the inside. Here are some of the main reasons why rental owners should pay careful attention to the curb appeal of their properties.
- Attracting Tenants- Modern curb appeal can attract potential tenants to a rental property. After all, a well-maintained and visually appealing exterior can grab the attention of potential tenants and increase their interest in the property.
- Higher Rental Value- A rental with modern curb appeal can lead to higher rental prices. After all, when a property looks great from the outside, tenants are more willing to pay higher costs to live there.
- Tenant Satisfaction and Retention- Modern curb appeal can increase tenant satisfaction and may encourage them to stay there longer. When tenants are satisfied with their property, they’re more willing to renew their lease, reducing tenant turnover and vacancy rates.
- Property Preservation- Investing in curb appeal helps landlords maintain and preserve the property over time. For instance, regular maintenance and exterior upkeep can prevent deterioration and damage.
- Competitive Edge- In rental markets with several available properties, curb appeal, can give a property a competitive edge. With multiple rentals available, tenants are more likely to choose a well-maintained and visually appealing property.
Overall, curb appeal is crucial for attracting tenants and standing out in the rental market. Additionally, it’s an excellent investment that can yield long-term benefits for both landlords and tenants. Next, we’ll review some modern curb appeal ideas for rental properties.
Modern Curb Appeal Ideas for Rental Properties
When aiming to enhance the curb appeal of a rental property, you’ll want to think about modern aesthetics. For instance, consider the following modern curb appeal ideas for your property to attract potential tenants.
- Clean Landscaping
- Contemporary Exterior Colors
- Statement Entryway
- Updated Lighting Fixtures
- Outdoor Seating
- Updated Windows
- Sustainable Elements
- Smart Home Features
When choosing landscaping designs for your rental property, opt for clean lines, well-manicured lawns, and minimalistic features. For instance, you may incorporate native plants or low-maintenance foliage to create a visually appealing and easy-to-maintain exterior for your rental property.
Contemporary Exterior Colors
You’ll want to choose modern and on-trend exterior paint colors that complement the property’s design. For example, neutral tones like greys, whites, or earthy hues often work well. However, don’t be afraid to add a pop of color to highlight architectural features, front doors, or garage doors.
Consider making the property entrance stand out with a modern front door in a contrasting color or sleek design. Additionally, you may consider adding contemporary door hardware or an eye-catching, modern-looking house number to enhance the property’s overall look.
Updated Lighting Features
Replace outdated or worn-out light fixtures with modern alternatives. For instance, you may opt for fixtures with clean lines and contemporary designs. Additionally, consider installing energy-efficient LED bulbs to improve visibility and reduce energy consumption. LED lights with sleek designs can provide both functionality and a visually appealing touch to the property.
Create inviting outdoor spaces for tenants and their guests by incorporating seating areas. Consider adding stylish furniture, like sleek chairs and tables, to allow tenants to relax and enjoy their outdoor surroundings. If there’s a patio or outdoor space, furnish it with high-quality, modern outdoor furniture. You’ll want to select pieces with sleek lines and durable materials resistant to weather conditions.
If applicable, upgrade windows to more modern designs that enhance the property’s aesthetics. For instance, consider enlarging or replacing windows with larger ones to create a modern look. Additionally, you may install contemporary window treatments like blinds or shades that offer privacy and light control while complementing the home’s overall style.
Consider incorporating sustainable elements into the modern curb appeal of your rental property. For instance, you may install solar panels, rainwater harvesting systems, or drought-tolerant landscaping. After all, these features can attract environmentally-conscious tenants and add value to your property.
Smart Home Features
Consider integrating smart home features into the property. For instance, upgrades like a video doorbell, smart lighting, or a programmable irrigation system can provide functionality and appeal to potential tenants.
What to Avoid While Decorating the Exterior
When decorating the exterior of a rental property, there are a few things to avoid to ensure a successful and appealing outcome. For instance, while keeping modern curb appeal in mind, here are a few things to avoid while decorating your rental’s exterior.
- Personalized Design Choices- Avoid incorporating personalized design choices that may limit the property’s appeal to a broad range of tenants. Instead, opt for neutral and universally appealing design elements to attract a wider audience.
- Overly Trendy or Dated Styles- Although creating a modern and attractive exterior is essential, you’ll want to avoid going too far with overly trendy styles that may become outdated. Strive for a timeless look that will remain visually appealing for years to come.
- Clutter and Excessive Decorations- Avoid cluttering the exterior with too many decorations. Choose a few carefully selected decor pieces or focal points that enhance the property’s aesthetics without becoming too overwhelming.
- Neglecting Regular Maintenance- Keeping up with regular maintenance tasks is crucial to ensure the property remains in good condition. Ignoring maintenance can result in an unappealing appearance, potentially deterring prospective tenants.
- Non-Compliance With Local Regulations- Before making any modifications or changes to your property, review and adhere to local regulations, building codes, and HOA guidelines. Non-compliance can lead to legal issues or costly corrections.
Improve Curb Appeal and Attract Renters With BMG
If you want to improve your rental property with modern curb appeal, you’ll want to hire reliable contractors to get the job done right. Additionally, you’ll want to ensure your property is well-maintained and cared for all year round. Luckily, that’s what Bay Property Management Group specializes in!
Bay Property Management Group is a full-service company that works to care for tenants and properties to help your rental business succeed. Whether you need assistance marketing rentals, screening tenants, collecting payments, or property maintenance, we can help!
We offer services throughout Baltimore, Philadelphia, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC. Contact us to learn more about our comprehensive rental management services and how we can help your rental business today.